There are two ports of Jet Set Willy to the MSX. The ROM version by Hudson soft, and a tape version, ported by Cameron Else for Software Projects.
The Hudson port is generally considered inferior:
- No Copy protection (using the color cards)
- Lacks the Jet Set Willy title screen
- You start with 16 instead of 8 lives
- BGM is different. It plays "I was a rich man"
- No HW sprites, all enemies are software sprites
- Game runs slower, perhaps as a consequence of using SW sprites only.
- Jumping sound is different, it´s more like key click-click-click-click....
- Jumping key is different
- You will hear key CLICK sounds playing non-stop on the background when your walking around
- Flashing background objects do not flash, for example the church cross is not flashing in "First Landing"
- Room names are not shown
- Screen border do not change color anymore when you enter a new room, borders will be grey all the time
- Monty Python Game Over screen missing, it simply reads "game over"
- Game over screen does not return to the title screen, but just starts the game again when you press space